I never wanted to have a legal section on the site but as a result of a lack of clear definitions conditions, it has become necessary to make explicit our terms of service. In doing so I want to give you a clear indication of the limits of our responsibilities from the outset, and explain the basis upon which our service is provided. The following terms and conditions are simply the expectations you have of us and what we ask of you. I will briefly outline these terms in condensed form, and then full information is provided afterwards.
Remember:It is our goal that you are 100% satisfied with the service we provide. Our business model is reliant on repeat custom and the recommendations you make to your friends and family members. That is why you will be treated fairly at all times and kept informed. These terms and conditions are only here in the unlikely instance that something goes wrong and we cannot come to an agreement in good faith.
Why do you charge a bench fee?
In the olden days repair shops used to charge a bench fee, where a payment was made before the engineer would put it on the workbench to inspect and fault find it. This was simply designed to cover the employees wage in the event that the item could not be fixed.
Margins have always been tight for small businesses and a few hours spent a day with no income, and having to pay for your employees time and renting a shop, could end up being the kiss of death. Whilst we don't run a shop our overheads are fuel and time, which is why we charge a nominal upfront bench fee that is to be paid before repair work commences. In actual fact, this fee is currently less than what you would have paid at a repair shop in the 1980s (not withstanding inflation of course), but it simply covers the national living wage and some petrol money.
- We require you to sign a release form granting us permission to take apart the item and fix it. We may need to take it off site, where we are only responsible for substantial damage, and do not accept liability for small scuffs and scratches caused in transit, unless it is a viewing screen that we should have taken reasonable steps to protect.
- A nominated bench fee will apply for all repair work which is to be paid upfront. This covers travel, PAT testing, an hours fault finding, and an engineers condition report. If a repair goes ahead the bench fee will be deducted from the final balance.
- There is, in some instances,a risk of further damaging things when taking them apart, we do not indemnify you for such costs in these instances, unless we have been negligent and we will inform you wherever these instances are reasonably foreseeable.
- We are not responsible for components that we have not worked on or any other subsequent fault arising from sub-systems we have not disturbed or worked on. Where faults arise we are covered by public liability insurance.
- If we find other faults we did not anticipate, either by visual inspection or electrical testing, we will demonstrate and make you aware of such faults before we carry out any additional work.
- We provide a limited 14 day warranty on all of our repairs unless we explicitly agree in writing to change this.
- It is assumed that you are responsible for backing up any data on your devices before they are submitted for repair. We are not responsible for losing any data on digital devices, and we will not be held liable for any personal or business loss resulting from this.
- If we are entrusted to back up your data, we will take all efforts to ensure its safety, however, we will bear no responsibility for any losses or damages as a result of any equipment failure or any other unforeseeable circumstance beyond our control. You will be responsible for ensuring that no illegal files or pirated material are present on any digital device submitted for any service, and you will indemnify us for all legal costs if any action is bought against us as a result of this clause being breached.
- Mr Circuit abides by all Data Protection legislation according to UK laws
- Any goods left under our supervision will be held for 30 days, after this time we reserve the right to dispose of any uncollected goods, if all reasonable attempts to contact you have been exhausted.
- Payment is to be made when the works are completed, all goods remain the property of Mr Circuit until the final balance is received in full.
Electronics & Electrical Repair Terms & Conditions
1. Release Form
- By signing the release form agreement you agree explicitly to all the terms and conditions as stipulated henceforth, have read them fully and exercised your faculties of judgement in order to ascertain whether this service is suitable for your needs.
- We require a signed document to be issued granting us access to the machine before any repair work is undertaken. This allows us to take it apart, refurbish, and carry out any duties deemed necessary for the purposes of repair and restoring the item to the best condition possible.
- In some instances we may deem it necessary to remove the item from the premises in order to complete services that cannot be provided on site, such as but not limited to further electrical testing, hot air soldering, welding, and chemical treatments. In these instances, we will be responsible for such items but will not accept liability for:
- Minor scuffs and scratches that do not impede the use of the device
- Any pre-existing problems
- Issues elsewhere covered by other clauses in these terms and conditions.
2. Bench Fee Policy
- A bench fee is chargeable for all work unless otherwise stated.
The bench fee will be deducted from the final balance as a deposit if you agree repair work by Mr Circuit or a nominated agent is to go ahead.
- The bench fee covers a call out, PAT testing, one hour of fault finding, and an engineers report.
- The bench fee is non refundable even in the event that the item is deemed unfeasible for economical repair, parts are no longer obtainable, or any other reason as applicable. We recommend contacting us for advice in the first instance, before you go ahead with any repairs. (Please click the pricing link at the top to check our current prices).
- There may be instances where a repair is needed and the item is at risk of further damage from taking it apart, such as fragile outer casings, antiques, and other instances such like.
- By signing this agreement you agree that Mr Circuit or its appointed agents will not be held liable for any claim of loss of revenue, actual or anticipated, or any indirect or consequential loss or damages, however caused, which arise directly or indirectly from such damage to an item.
- By signing this agreement you accept that there is a risk involved in opening up any device and you are fully aware of these risks. You agree that Mr Circuit will not be held liable for any costs resulting from damages occurred, unless it can be demonstrated that such damages occurred due to negligence on the part of Mr Circuit or its appointed agents, or we make tacit our acceptance of liability in writing.
- If these kind of damage issues arise and are foreseeable on an a pirori basis, we will notify you and discuss the specifics required. You will be informed of any potential risk before work commences whenever possible.
- This advice is provided on an “as is basis”, and is only provided in so far as is foreseeable or reasonably practical. However, in instances where such damage is unforeseeable you agree that Mr Circuit or its appointed agents will not be held liable for any claim of loss of revenue, actual or anticipated, or any indirect or consequential loss or damages, however caused, which arise directly or indirectly from such damage to an item.
4. Limitations of Responsibility
- Our responsibility is limited only to the work we carry out on any device. Any other problem that arises after repair is not our responsibility unless it is deemed to have been caused by our work, or through negligence.
- After a phone repair the home button stops working. In this case we would accept that we are at fault, as we disturbed it when removing the case, and repair it free of charge.
- We replace a faulty heater on a tumble dryer, then the motor fails the week after. In this case we would not have worked near the motor or disturbed it, meaning we would not be liable and would charge for any further repairs.
- Other cases are not so clear cut but it is simply a matter of fact that issues will arise in a small percentage of repair cases. By signing this agreement you explicitly and tacitly accept that:
- a) Sometimes when things are taken apart mechanical issues that were not there before may arise necessitating in further repair work. In these instances you will be informed and we will seek your permission to rectify these instances. However, if the materials to do so are less than £10 in value we will charge this out under sundries.
- b) Cosmetic blemishes may result on outer casings through repair.
- We are not responsible for components that we have not worked on or any other subsequent fault arising from sub-systems we have not disturbed or worked on during the course of any repair as outlined in example 2. In any dispute you agree that Mr Circuit and its appointed agents will be protected from any claim for loss of revenue, actual or anticipated, or any indirect or consequential loss or damages, however caused, which arise directly or indirectly from such damage to an item.
- In cases where negligence can clearly be demonstrated, or we tacitly accept responsibility in writing, we will take responsibility for any damages not including minor scratches or blemishes, unless this item is an LCD/LED TV, screen or display device, where reasonable steps should have been taken to prevent damage. When unforeseen circumstances such as these arise, we will consult with you during the process and work with you towards a solution.
- We PAT test every item where possible to ensure it complies with the electricity at work regulations, which is over and above the necessities for domestic use. However, in some instances this is not practical since many DC electronic devices do not have earthing system. In these instances a visual inspection will be all that is provided, any extraneous power supplies will be tested if appropriate earthing is built in to the device.
- In the event of electric shock to persons or damage to property caused by electrical malfunction, we are covered by public liability insurance. We also adhere to the 17th edition IET wiring regulations as stipulated by the Institute of electrical Engineers.
5. Additional work
- In some cases where things are taken apart mechanical issues that were not there before may arise necessitating in further repair work. In these instances you will be informed and we will seek your permission to rectify these instances unless we cannot make contact with you and a repeat visit will cost more than the value of carrying out the repair at the time.
- It is accepted that this will be on a good will basis and you will never be charged for unnecessary work.
6. 14 Day Guarantee
We want our customers to have peace of mind when using our repair service and that is why all our work comes with a 14 day warranty. If the repair fails inside of 14 days then we will fix the item free of charge.
- There may be instances where a repair is needed and the item is at risk of further damage from taking it apart, such as fragile outer casings, antiques etc. We will accept no liability in these instances. If these kind of issues may arise, we will discuss the specifics required and you will be informed of any potential problems before work commences.
- Our guarantee is limited only to the work we carry out on any device. Any other problem that arises after repair is not our responsibility unless it is deemed to have been caused by our work, or through negligence.
- Sometimes when things are taken apart mechanical issues that were not there before may arise, or cosmetic blemishes may result on outer casings. In cases of negligence we will take responsibility, however, when unforeseen circumstances such as these arise, we accept no responsibility as described in article 4.ii
7. Digital Data
- (i) It is your responsibility to ensure all your data is sufficiently backed up before proceeding with any repair as there is always a risk of losing data when servicing electronics. By signing this agreement you accept that Mr Circuit and its appointed parties will not be liable for any loss of revenue, actual or anticipated, or any indirect or consequential loss or damages, however caused, which arise directly or indirectly from the loss or corruption of any data through the use of any of our services.
Viruses, trojans, and other malware is prevalent in the digital domain and this is beyond the control of Mr Circuit and any other appointed third parties. Whilst all efforts are made to ensure electronic communications and work related activities are free from such chance of infection, Mr Circuit and its appointed parties will not be liable for any loss of revenue, actual or anticipated, or any indirect or consequential loss or damages, however caused, which arise directly or indirectly from the loss or corruption of any data through the use of any of our services.
8. Data back up requests
- A back up service can be provided at a nominal fee, however, we ask that you do not ask us to transfer any pirated files or illegal material. Even in an instance where you ask us to back up data, Mr Circuit will not be liable for any loss of revenue, actual or anticipated, or any indirect or consequential loss or damages, however caused, which arise directly or indirectly from the loss of any data.
- You also agree to indemnify us for any costs incurred as a result of breaching this condition regarding illegal files or pirated material if any legal action is bought against Mr Circuit or its appointed parties.
9. Data Protection Policy
- It is in the course of activities pertaining to business e.g. ordering parts from a supplier.
- It is to make enquiries pertaining to business activities relevant to the case in question
10. Storage of Goods
- Where we have repaired items or have been unable to repair items we will hold them for a period not exceeding thirty days
- After such time we reserve the right to dispose of any goods after all reasonable attempts to contact you have been exhausted. Prior arrangements regarding holidays can be made, however, this will be at our discretion.
11. Payment Terms
- We ask that the final balance is paid upon completion of our work, no credit will be given under any circumstances.
- Any goods and sundries supplied by us will remain the property of Mr Circuit until the payment is received in full.
- Any substantial outlay for expensive parts will require a 40% deposit before the order is placed and work commences.
- Any overdue payments will be referred to small claims court once all other avenues to recover costs have been exhausted, and you will indemnify us for all costs in relation to recovering monies owed.